Fedora Updater

Sun Feb 22 15:53:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 04:33, Ty Spilker wrote:
> Well, I am defiantly what one would call a 'newbie' to the Linux world.
> I played around with Mandrake 9.2 for a while until a friend told me to
> give Fedora Core 1 a shot. (I agreed since Mandrake always crashed when
> I would try run a gzip command)
>
> I went to update Fedora after I had finish installing, it took me nearly
> eight hours to finish downloading the updates (in on cable, downloading
> these updates at about 2kB/s) When I FINALLY finished the download, the
> install stopped. It wouldn't even start, it simply stayed on the screen
> doing nothing. I tried this at least 4 times with the same results.
>
> I am wondering if there is anything I am doing wrong, and if so could
> someone give me some advice?

Sure, either search the list archives for messages that help you set up
up2date (or yum) to use one or more of the myriad of mirrors that are
available or go to one of these sites to help you:

http://fedoranews.org/
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/

There are FAQs and articles on both of the above sites that provide
guidance on setting up the up2date and yum configuration files.

There is a list of mirrors here:

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

and you can search the list archives here:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/

The main servers, which are used by default, have only so much
bandwidth. Start using a mirror that is geographically close to you and
this problem will become a non-issue.

I use a local mirror and consistently get >200 Kb/sec over a broadband
connection.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz