Giving up on Linux...

Marc Deslauriers marcdeslauriers at videotron.ca
Sun Feb 22 15:46:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 04:17, xyzzy at hotpop.com wrote:
> The issue here is that Windows XP runs "out-of-the-box" on this system without
> problems and it is FAST, once it boots.

> I have real problems seeing how Linux is going to make it to the desktop by
> 2005 with these kinds of road-blocks.
>
> Sad.

Microsoft doesn't write drivers. Hardware manufacturers write drivers.
If Windows XP runs "out of the box" on your hardware, that's because
your hardware manufacturer made sure the required drivers would be
included in Windows.

Sadly, not all manufacturers are writing Linux drivers for their
products. When they do, a lot of them go the closed-source route
preventing Linux from working "out of the box". Some write open-source
drivers but don't contribute them or don't work hard to get them
included "out of the box".

The best place to complain, would be with your hardware's manufacturer.
Let _them_ know that you're disappointed that Linux doesn't work right
on their hardware. Let them know that Linux is not being exclusively
used by the tech/hobbyist market anymore and they _will_ lose more and
more sales if their stuff doesn't work "out of the box".

If I were you, I would be giving up on those manufacturers rather than
giving up on Linux...

Marc.