Giving up on Linux...

Jeremy Hogan jhogan at redhat.com
Sun Feb 22 16:02:12 UTC 2004

> I'll agree with this up to a point.  M$ DOES listen in its own fashion,
> otherwise there wouldn't be any updates.

Like the unfixed IE exploit? Or the half dozen others known, documented
and still fully exploitable? For months?

Their fashion of listening is when the stock analysts tell them security
is an issue. So they respond with some PR about how they are really
picking up security. Really. They mean it and they;ll do it. Someday.

In their own fashion.

/me now goes to find all the PR where we promised you Fedora or Linux in
general was ready for the general use desktop and decides you got what
you paid for.

> > The big advantage with open source is that the developers listen.
>
> Ok, they listen.  Where are the fixes for the latest hardware?

You have the hardware. You are a self proclaimed, card carrying gets
paid-to-do-it kernel hacker.

Where is your bugzilla entry? Where is the debug info? Where is your
suggested fix? Patch? Are you posting this on the devel-list? So the
developers *can* listen?

> Again, where are the fixes?

Where are the M$ fixes.

Your "state of the art" mb works so well that the latest worm can
cripple your drive in half the time. Fantastic.

> Where are the lines in Bugzilla that say "Fixed in kernel version
> such and such"??

Where's your request? You really think MS is clairvoyant? That they
would magically know that your system doesn't work?

> installs, and WORKS (however lousily).

This is the problem with you whole rant. You admit their solution is
lousy in ways that are apparently unimportant to you. So you understand
that these things are give priority.

In this case, there are plenty of working "state of the art" mb's. And
you chose one without doing the research a "kernel hacker" would have
done.

If by WORKS a system has to ignore vulnerabilities for so long it's not
even a cool script kiddie hack anymore, then you will be happy with MS.
And since you don't care about security, stability, scalability, and
such tired and dogmatic religious concepts as freedom, choice, and " old
fashioned "get off your ass and file a bug report" work ethic, then they
will be just as happy with you.

--jeremy