New Apache License?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Feb 22 18:44:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:26:25 +0100 "T. Ribbrock" <emgaron at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi all,

> I've seen some talk about the consequences of the new XFree86 license,
> but I haven't seen any comments on the new Apache license. Again, like
> in the XFree86 case, the license has become more complicated - only in
> this case immensely so. It's almost impossible to understand without a
> lawyer now (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0), which makes
> me wary...

i can tell you that the OpenBSD folks have indicated that they will be
declining to include any Apache code under the new license. it looks like
they'll fork development where they are right now rather than let the new
license into their distribution.

the old apache license was fairly similar to the traditional BSD license; this
new one is certainly much more complex and loaded with legalese.

> Also, I've seen comments that the new patent clause may be incompatible
> with the GPL - does anybody know more about this?

the FSF's legal counsel thinks that it's incompatible.

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net