Internet only as root

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Feb 22 20:30:44 UTC 2004

see response below.

Paul Ryan wrote:

>>From paul at the-ryans.de Sun Feb 22 11:10:27 2004
>Hi I shortened this as much as possible trying to find the balance
>between ballast and having someone new to the thread knowing what is
>going on

>adsl-config,

>yes

>One

>>Be careful about giving out incorrect information.
>>'adsl-config' is needed once to initialize and save the adsl settings.
>> After that you only use 'ifup ppp0' and 'ifdown ppp0'  to
>>connect/disconnect.
>>

>True if I log on as root and start a internet connection ,then log on as
>a different user I can then use the connection

So everything works for the regular user after starting the connection
as root??
This is normal, and by default only root is allowed to change interface
status.

I see that ppp0 uses eth1, and the routing seems correct as does the DNS
so unless your desire is to make it so any user can change the status of
the interface, I see no problems.

There are many ways to make it so the regular user can start/stop the
adsl connection.
     A script to start it with root privledges comes to mind quickly.
To start it at boot time you can use one of the rc. scripts (such as
rc.local) or the inittab as simple points to control it.  You also can
set it up as a service if you wish.