Giving up on Linux...

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 23 02:38:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 04:17, xyzzy at hotpop.com wrote:
> ... for the foreseeable future on my home system.
>
> I pity the average user that tries to install and run Linux on their latest
> hardware.  If I, as an experienced software engineer, throw up my hands, what
> would a relative newbie who just needs the system to work do?

I am a senior programmer.  As a senior programmer I use logic for all
tasks I do.  I would think that you as an "experienced software
engineer" would do the same.  Did you look to see if your hardware is
supported?  There is hardware that is not supported by Linux.  It is
usually  because the manufacturer does not release specs.  So get
hardware that works on Linux.  Tons and tons of hardware are supported
by Linux and even very new hardware.  I have all kinds of gadgets
connected to my 1 year new laptop and FC1 is a rock on the thing.  It
has never crashed ONCE.  This laptop came with MS Windows XP, it was
slower, constantly being attacked by viruses/worms, had driver issues
and would cost me too much money to legally setup my development
environment (I don't do warez).  There was no second thought when I
figured out the $1,000 I would save to setup the same/equivalent
development environment under MS Windows as I have under Linux.

> I have real problems seeing how Linux is going to make it to the desktop by
> 2005 with these kinds of road-blocks.

MS Windows XP has tons of problems but that did not stop it.  I have a
desktop with two newer NVidia graphics cards.  MS Windows XP locks up
solid when I tried to use both.  FC1 on the other hand drives those two
cards with no problems.  For all the Linux horror stories, you can hear
just as many MS Windows stories.

> Sad.

It is sad that you are basing your judgment on one experience.  If
everyone did that with MS Windows, Microsoft would have gone down a
long, long time ago.

I guess you posted to either vent or get a bunch of "me too's".  Sorry,
but I just have had the complete opposite experience with Linux then you
had.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA