Email problem

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 23 09:57:57 UTC 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 01:56:16PM -0600, admin at kclinux.net wrote:

> I tried what you said and still got the same errors.  I finally gave up
> and did the following:
>
> rpm -e spamassassin
> rpm -e mutt
> rpm -e procmail
> rpm -e sendmail
>
> And then made sure all the sendmail configs were deleted in /etc/mail
> >>Feb 20 09:17:25 dnsrv1 ipop3d[9550]: Mailbox vulnerable - directory
> >>/var/spool/mail must have 1777 protection

Well sledge hammers work.
I would have moved /etc/mail to /etc/mail-old-need-2-compareXXX
Then reinstall the RPMs.  This would permit a comparison of
the config file contents and permissions.

I am surprised you did not quickly address the permission
issues clearly specified in the log files.

I also did not see a message where you checked for and resolved
changes in files like sendmail.mc.rpmnew and other *.rpmnew *rpmsave
files.  i.e.:
   /etc/mail/submit.cf.rpmnew
   /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.rpmnew
   /etc/mail/sendmail.mc.rpmnew