New Apache License?

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Mon Feb 23 19:34:18 UTC 2004

Richard Welty wrote:

> the MySQL license change is odious because it puts businesses between
> a rock and a hard place -- they get four choices. one, don't upgrade MySQL.
> two, pay for a commercial license. three, place their code under the GPL.
> four, switch to another database.
>
> and of course, if they don't notice the license change until too late, they
> have a bit of a problem.

Doesn't this only apply to businesses that are trying to sell or
distribute a bundled product that includes both MySQL and their own
proprietary code? Are there many such companies in existance? Is it
really a bad thing for SQL to want to get something back from these
company's profiting either in cash or in further GPL sharing?

It's my understanding that a company can still use their own code with
MySQL internally in whatever way they want, since the license issues
only kick in if you want to redistribute.