Yum update

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Tue Feb 24 01:18:28 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 17:16, Richmond Pabilona wrote:
> Hi guys,
>     I ran "yum install xmms-mp3" to install mp3 capability to xmms
> player, the yum started downloading/updating all of the software
> packages headers, it went for almost an hour but suddenly my internet
> connection disconnected so i was not able to complete it.  This was the
> first time i ran yum, does yum really behave this way? i mean does it
> update all the headers before it installs a package? Will the xmms-mp3
> be installed after it finish updating the packages?

Yes, it updates the headers every time it is run. Of course the first
time you run it all (most ?) of the headers are out of date. It takes a
bit of time the first time. After that it should be much faster since
most headers will not be out of date.

Also, make sure that you are using a mirror and not the main Redhat
site. The main site is overloaded most of the time. If you are not sure
how to do this you can search the archives. The information is also
available on the "unofficial fedora faq"(google finds it rather nicely)
and maybe an official one by now.