Giving up on Linux...

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Tue Feb 24 01:38:40 UTC 2004

Em Dom, 2004-02-22 às 06:17, xyzzy at hotpop.com escreveu:

> The issue here is that Windows XP runs "out-of-the-box" on this system without
> problems and it is FAST, once it boots.

That's good.

> I could try the 2.6 kernel (and I have a LOT of experience with computers),

Well, so why not help us contributing in some way? I have some
experience with computers, but not that much as you, obviously. However,
I try to help, writing bugzilla reports, helping out some newbies and
translating stuff to my language (as openoffice, for instance)

> but what's the use?  The 2.6 kernel is not ready for prime-time, not by a
> long shot, and neither, it seems, is Linux in general.

Did you try it?

> not run at all and no fixes seem to be in sight - maybe because these
> problems are intractable without inside information about ACPI and other
> things that Intel will give to Microsoft but not to Open Source developers.
> Maybe Redhat just doesn't care. Who knows?

Ask them... several redhat guys are on this list.

> I pity the average user that tries to install and run Linux on their latest
> hardware.  If I, as an experienced software engineer, throw up my hands, what
> would a relative newbie who just needs the system to work do?

As everything is usually done for free (and yes, like free beer also),
for people who does stuff without being paid for, its not fair that
people complain about latest hardware getting supported first by
closed-source initiatives. Intel says they support (in financial way,
for instance) linux, so write them complaining they released their
drivers in closed-source, not fedora community.

> I have real problems seeing how Linux is going to make it to the desktop by
> 2005 with these kinds of road-blocks.
> Sad.

Indeed, specially when a software engineer with a LOT of experience does
not even try to help.

Man, this thread promises to be long, so I'll shut up for now.
--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group