Internet only as root

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Tue Feb 24 03:34:48 UTC 2004

Em Dom, 2004-02-22 às 17:49, antonio montagnani escreveu:

> Why don't you use the graphical interface ( redhat-control-network ) and
> set that internet connection (ppp0) may be started also by users???

Even better, why not connect at boot? My /etc/rc.d/rc.local has:

(....)
touch /var/lock/subsys/local     # Was already there
ifup ppp0                        # So the adsl will be online
/etc/cron.hourly/id-velox.pl &   # To fool around my isp's WEB auth
/etc/cron.hourly/nomes.sh &      # Dynamic DNS stuff.
fetchmail -d 900		 # just in case I lost some email :-)
alsactl restore                  # Never worried about alsa volume again

This way, I have a ever-connected machine, without the need of even
going into my isp's site and authenticating myself again...

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group