Memtest86 doesn't work - Was Re: Fedora Updater

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Tue Feb 24 11:34:37 UTC 2004

Em Ter, 2004-02-24 às 03:11, Keith G. Robertson-Turner escreveu:

(....)
> On several systems I've repaired, memtest86 passed every time, but a
> kernel rebuild loop caused segfaults. Replace the ram, no more segfaults.

There are some options in memtest86 which can test memory modules
deeper.. Are you sure not even these would find anything? This worries
me, as memtest86 is a kind of standard testing tool for several people.

> IMHO unless you're testing a system using heavy I/O stressing, which
> really pushes the load on the masked areas of memory, you're not going to
> get a result.

This is probably correct, but do you know any kind of open-source
swiss-knife tool which could do such a stress test, I say without
compromising the system (as with kernel segfaults?)

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group