Bug?/questions about spamassassin

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Feb 24 17:47:40 UTC 2004

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> When I run the newest version of spamassassin (2.6.3-0.2) from the init.d
> directory as user root, it hangs when I use "-u mailnull" as the options.
> Or any other user (mail, etc), for that matter. Typing ./spamassassin
> start with just the option above shows:
>
> starting spamd:
>
> And then it hangs.

Are you still using '-d'? Without that spamd runs in the foreground
rather than as a daemon. Are you setting the options in
/etc/sysconfig/spamassassin?

[bevan at heimdall ~]> more /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin
# Options to spamd
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -x -a -m5 -u mailnull -L"

> Using the defaults with the software (-d -c -a -m5 -H) works fine, except
> my incoming spam is labeled as [SPAM] in Pine. Is there any way, from the
> spamassassin option command line above, to add an option to automatically
> delete those incoming emails when they are detected to be spam? I'm sure
> there is, but in my half-awake state and 2 hours on the spamassassin web
> site, I'm not clear how to do it.
>
> Thanks, as always, for any help!

You can change the subject tag (and whether or not to have one) in
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

Generally, since it's not 100% accurate, people filter alleged spam into
a separate mailbox (using procmail) for later review.

A procmailrc similar to the following might help:
# SpamAssassin check
:0 wf
spam