RH now exiting 1 more data center

Mark mark at harddata.com
Tue Feb 24 22:02:59 UTC 2004

On February 22, 2004 04:22 pm, Res wrote:
> we had 7.3 boxes running untill recent that NEVER missed a beat, never
> had to touch them,, like the RH9 boxes we have.... since fedora went on
> the 7.3 boxes, well, what a nightmare, daily interventions.
> I know of others who were running 7.3 samba servers, fedora destroyed it,
> they gave up and reinstalled 7.3 and backups from tape, they have told me
> they will not touch it again either.

Critical systems need to be tested before major upgrades like that. Just
upgrading to any new version of an OS can be problematic. This is nothing new
with Fedora. You need to test things first. Especially if your system has to
been working.

Who knows, you configuration could triger a bug that hasn't been seen before.
Anyone who rolls out major upgrades without testing first, deserves have
problems.

There were lots of problems with older upgrades of RedHat. RedHat 7.0 anyone?

As for upgrading, the fedora legacy project is still supporting RedHat 7.3. So
staying with RedHat 7.3 while you tested the new fedora setup only makes
sense.

> I know RH engineers work on this
> project, but the QC crew sure as hell dont, if they did FC1 WOULD be as
> relaible and stable as previous RH's.

Well I know for a fact that the same group guys we send RHEL bugs to respond
to Fedora Bugs. Read the Fedora-test and Fedora-Devel list archives.
Frequiently you will see names like Alan Cox or Mike Harris.

regards,

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--