RH now exiting 1 more data center

Aaron Matteson fedora at cryptosystem.us
Tue Feb 24 23:17:10 UTC 2004

Joe Klemmer became daring and sent these 0.9K bytes,
> On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 18:35, Res wrote:
>
> > > And that's not even the kicker -- the kicker is that the alternative he's
> > > using is *Slackware*.  An even less appropriate product for the role in which
> > > he's using it.
> >
> > how do you conclude that ? we have never had a problem with slackware
> > servers, they have been as stable as the old RH ones.
>
> 	Slack is very stable but extremely difficult to manage and upgrade.
> Until very recently the only real upgrade path from one version to the
> next was format and reinstall from scratch.  Even now it's still a LOT
> of work to keep things updated and in sync.

Slack is not real bad to update once you get it automated to a point.
The isp i work for, i built all its servers from the ground up using
slackware. The only ass part of it was writing scripts for all services
being used for handling. Once i had all that in place upgrading was as
simple as compiling packages for a service being upgraded. Some of the
rules i followed to make things easier was to write a script to set
installation directory for example to /usr/local/apache_1.3.29 and
symlink to /usr/local/apache and simply force the symlink to the new
installation directory. I have found that such conventions allow for an
easy downgrade if it is for some reason required. But i am getting off
topic, I am a Fedora/Red Hat man through and through, but this slackware
env. wasrequired by the owner and suggested heavily by the old admin.
Needless to say it was a very interesting project and i learned a lot.

> 	Slackware isn't a bad distro by any means.  It's just not what one
> would pick for anything more than a little, single service system.

It is all preference and how much work you want to put into it, i do see
your point though: It can be a pain in the ass to admin if you need a
single server to run a lot of services.

--
   /\o   Aaron M Matteson - http://cryptosystem.us
    /\/  GnuPG key fingerprint is in the header