nis auth problems

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 24 23:30:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 02:08:38PM -0500, Fedora at TinyCreatures wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I recently set up a NIS server on a box running FreeBSD 5.2. Everything
> went well. The clients are Linux machines, running Fedora Core 1.
> I tried to configure one, it
> connects to the NIS server, all yp commands return successfull queries,
> made the necessary changes in nsswithch.conf as well, however, when i'm
> trying to log on with a user that exists only on the NIS server i get
> "Login incorrect" messages all the time.
> What could be the problem?

What line in your passwd file invokes NIS.

 http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/man-pages/man5/nsswitch.5.php3

   "In /etc/passwd you could have entries of the form +user or
   + at netgroup (include the specified user from the NIS passwd map),
   -user or - at netgroup (exclude the specified user) and + (include
   every user, except the excluded ones, from the NIS passwd
   map). Since most people only put a + at the end of /etc/passwd..."

Where is the home directories for a NIS user?
Are there any useful hints in messages in /var/log/secure /var/log/*

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net