X slow startup

Alberto Cardinalli Jr. acjr0108 at yahoo.com.br
Wed Feb 25 01:54:09 UTC 2004

> > lwj wrote:

> > > I don't think that this is an issue with the video driver. I am using
> > > similar card (Riva TNT2 with 32 MB of ram AGP) I am running on a slower
> > > machine with the same amount of ram and I do not have any problems with
> > > graphics performance. For 2D drawing I would not expect the AGP/PCI to
> > > make that much of a difference in the performance. There must be
> > > something else going on here.
> >
> > Is this slow startup invoked from boot or from doing something like
> > "startx" or "telinit 5"?  If it's not from boot, do an "uptime" before
> > you invoke the command and see if the load is high.  You may have some
> > background process sucking up a lot of resources (updatedb comes to mind
> > right away).

I invoke X using 'startx', i did an uptime and that's my load average:
0.41, 0.15, 0.06.

As I said before, even booting with an older kernel and reinstalling an
older version of the driver, the problem continues. I've tried
everything of NVIDIA's FAQ's and forums with no success. I posted a
question there but they didn't answer.

Thanks for your reply,

--
Alberto C. Jr.