Moving from RHL 9 to Fedora Core 1

Fred Vachon fred.vachon at cox.net
Wed Feb 25 01:54:15 UTC 2004

Hi.  I'm preparing to migrate from Red Hat 9 to Fedora Core 1.  I have
only standard Linux partitions / /boot and swap (no dual boot).  I'd
like to upgrade rather than do a new install as I have a lot of software
that I don't want to reinstall -- Java 1.4, turboprint driver,
codeweavers, files on my home directory, etc.  I've read about the GNOME
issue in the release notes but I'm unsure about what to do with non core
RHL 9 rpms that I have installed.   Like xmms and xine for example.
I've read about problems mixing repositories.  Should I identify and
remove all these non core rpms before I install Fedora 1?  Or can I
upgrade from freshrpms with more current Fedora rpms after I install?
Or is there another maybe easier way to do this?  This is my first Linux
migration as I started with RHL 9 so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!  Fred