Fedora Updater

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 02:21:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:19:27 -0500, William Hooper wrote:

> Keith G. Robertson-Turner said:
>
>> However, I do agree in general that both yum and up2date seem to have
>> problems downloading - that apt doesn't seem to suffer from so much (very
>> weird considering they all use the same Repos now - maybe it's a timeout
>> setting).
>
> Actually the main site (that up2date and yum are configured for by
> default) doesn't have the apt metadata, so no they don't use the same
> Repos.  In essence using apt is the long way around to using a mirror
> site.  Most (notice I didn't say all) problems with up2date/yum that are
> solved by using apt could just as easily be solved by using configuring a
> mirror for up2date/yum.

Only going by my own experience here, but I've seen yum get "stuck" on a
download, from the same Repo that apt successfully (and quickly) downloads
from, seconds later. I haven't looked at the source, but as I speculated
before, I'm guessing the timeout value is set too high, whereas (once
again - a speculation) apt maybe fails and retries quicker. You're right,
it isn't exactly the same directory, but on my setup it is the same server.

-
K.