rebuilding kernel for new motherboard and cpu

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 10:21:35 UTC 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, xiaohuli at alumni.princeton.edu wrote:

> A while ago, I built kernel 2.6.1 from source for a old
> p3 system.  I recently changed the motherboard and the
> cpu ( p4 ) and put in a new network card.  It seems to
> be running fine for now.  My question is : should I
> rebuild the kernel ?

I guess it depends on why you chose to rebuild the kernel from source
for the old box.  If it was to take the best out of the p3, you may
want to customize it for the new hardware set up.  If it was just for
the fun of it, you might as well have the fun again.  If it was just
because you could and you don't feel like doing it again, then don't
do it :-)

> Given that my graphics card is still the same, do I need to reinsall
> Nvidia driver if I rebuild the kernel ?

Possibly.  I *think* it may depend on whether you change the set of
config options that are enabled.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}