Run Application

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Feb 25 18:10:26 UTC 2004

Alexandre Strube wrote:
> Em Ter, 2004-02-24 às 14:22, Bevan C. Bennett escreveu:
>

>>>Some weeks ago someone said like use the windows key (mapping it to f13)
>>>to open gnome menu... But I just realized that I can't map any key
>>>combination with it (like windows+r for run app, something I'm used to
>>>for years)... any thoughts?
>>
>>The Windows key works fine for me in mappings as it's 'normal' <Mod4>
>>state.
>>In the metacity mappings at least I can use it in key combinations just
>>fine. Where do you go to map a 'run app' combination?
>

> Gnome menu - preferences - keyboard shortcuts.

It works fine for me there, and shows up as 'Mod4'.
(It just took me a while to figure out that 'run app' is listed "Show
the panel run dialog".)

>>Your problem might be because you've mapped the key to F13, which is a
>>'normal' key (like F6, 'a', or right arrow) instead of a 'modifier' key
>>(like shift, control and alt).
> Exactly. How do I set it to be a modifier instead of a normal key?

You leave it alone. It's a modifier by default.
Don't do whatever you did to "map it to F13".

If you can't undo that, let's see how to force it...
Check your xmodmap, mine looks like:
[bevan at saladin ~]> xmodmap
xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74)
mod5

The windows keys are Super_L and Super_R, here shown mapped to the
modifier 'mod4'.
If yours aren't, try:
xmodmap -e "mod4 = Super_L"
xmodmap -e "mod4 = Super_R"

Depending on what you've done, you may also need to make sure your
windows keys are actually still mapped to Super_L and Super_R.