cifs mount no read/write

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Feb 25 19:46:05 UTC 2004

I'm actually running core2 stuff but don't think it is realated to my
current problem.  Seems like a general fedora users type of question.

I'm mounting Windows partitions remotely with cifs.  No trouble
getting them mounted but once mounted they are read/only.

Its a fat32 partition in this example:
  (wrapped for mail)

mount.cifs //192.168.0.15/win-d /mnt/win-d -o \
 rw,username=Administrator,password=''

That mounts the share without any errors etc

`mount' shows it mounted:
  mount:
  [...]
  //192.168.0.15/win-d on /mnt/win-d type cifs (0)

I'm not sure what `(0)' signifies but all other mounts show (rw) in
that spot.

Now as root, cd to it:

  cd /mnt/win-d
  touch it
  touch: cannot touch `it': Permission denied

This used to work when I used smbfs, but the newest kernels do not
have smbfs support yet and I'm being told to use cifs as replacement.

Anyone here using cifs to mount windows shares that can coach me a
bit?