How do I get a /dev/sequencer?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Feb 25 20:09:21 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 25.02.2004 schrieb Björn Persson um 18:52:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am So, den 22.02.2004 schrieb Björn Persson um 20:01:
> >
> >>My sound device is integrated on the motherboard. Sounds can be played
> >>just fine but MIDI doesn't work. Playmidi tries to access the MIDI
> >>device through /dev/sequencer and gets the error "No such device". The
> >>sound driver seems to be cmpci, but apparently it doesn't handle
> >>/dev/sequencer. What module do I need to load?
> >>
> >>Kudzu (or something) has identified the device as "C-Media Electronics
> >
> > Install ALSA from fedora.us or freshrpms.net. I think the soundchip is
> > supported by the module named cmipci. See the ALSA project page for
> > details (like modules.conf entries).
>
> I installed alsa-driver, alsa-firmware, alsa-lib, alsa-oss, alsa-tools
> and alsa-utils from fedora.us, and was really confused for a while
> before I found the driver modules at FreshRPMs. Now I have the same
> situation with ALSA as I had before with OSS. PCM sound plays just fine
> but there is still no /dev/sequencer.
>
> Is /dev/sequencer even the right device file to use with ALSA? If not,
> is there a MIDI player that works with ALSA?
>
> According to the SOUNDCARDS file there is support for "MIXER,PCM,MIDI"
> with CMI8738, and "MIDI" is explained as "external MIDI port". Does that
> mean the driver can control an external synth through the MIDI port, but
> not the built-in synth? Would I need one of the cards labeled with
> "SYNTH_MIDI" to play MIDI with the card?
>
> Björn Persson

I do not know your soundchip, but from

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=C-Media&card=CMI8738&chip=CMI8738&module=cmipci

midi should work: options snd-cmipci id="first" enable_midi="1"

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 21:08:16 up 5 days, 22:42, load average: 0.22, 0.07, 0.09
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]