Run Application

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Feb 25 22:26:52 UTC 2004

Alexandre Strube wrote:

>>Don't do whatever you did to "map it to F13".
> There's no such mapping leaving it alone on both br-abnt2 keyboards and
> us-intl-accents (don't remember the exact name), that's why I mapped it
> to F13 (following someone's advice from the list)

Ah... sorry about that, I suffered from a 'standard 104-key keyboard' bias.

The 'xkeycaps' program (fairly old, but still useful) can be handy for
playing with different keyboard layouts and recommending the correct
inputs to xmodmap.

> My one:
> xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
>
> shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
> control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
> mod1        Alt_L (0x40)
> mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
> mod3
> mod4
> mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)
>

>>The windows keys are Super_L and Super_R, here shown mapped to the
>>modifier 'mod4'.
>>If yours aren't, try:
>>xmodmap -e "mod4 = Super_L"
>>xmodmap -e "mod4 = Super_R"
>

> It doesn't work.
> [surak at casa surak]$ xmodmap -e "mod4 = Super_L"
> xmodmap:  unknown command on line commandline:0
> xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

Mea culpa. Those were supposed to be:
xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Super_L"
xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Super_R"
(as you figured out below)
I had a transcription error.

> If I map
> xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Super_L"
> I can use it as a modifier, but not as a key anymore (ie works SuperL +
> R to run app, but just pressing it does nothing)

That's correct. You can't be both. This is the same reason why shift or
control by themselves won't do anything... only in combination with
other keys.

Wasn't your goal to make Windows+R open the run app dialog?

> If I open the keyboard shortcuts BEFORE adding mod4 to maps, I can map
> it to open gnome menu, and if I open if AFTER, it does nothing.

You could map Windows+m to open the gnome menu, or some other key (my
keyboard has a 'menu' key that doesn't otherwise do anything useful...)