Bug?/questions about spamassassin

Paul Rushing rushing at shreve.net
Wed Feb 25 23:24:10 UTC 2004

> When I run the newest version of spamassassin (2.6.3-0.2) from the init.d
> directory as user root, it hangs when I use "-u mailnull" as the options.
> Or any other user (mail, etc), for that matter. Typing ./spamassassin
> start with just the option above shows:
>
> starting spamd:
>
> And then it hangs.
>
> Using the defaults with the software (-d -c -a -m5 -H) works fine, except
> my incoming spam is labeled as [SPAM] in Pine. Is there any way, from the
> spamassassin option command line above, to add an option to automatically
> delete those incoming emails when they are detected to be spam? I'm sure
> there is, but in my half-awake state and 2 hours on the spamassassin web
> site, I'm not clear how to do it.

no, spamassassin is not in the business of deleting email.  Spamassassin
only scores the email and optionally marks it with [spam] tags.  You need
to use a filter that you can setup to act on the spamassassin markup.  It
is not clear from your post where you are calling spamassassin.  Are you
invoking spamassassin in your .procmailrc file?   That's the method that's
described in the spamassassin documentation.   If procmail is involved
then you can create a rule in procmailrc, something like this:

:0:
caughtspam

That will file spam emails into a folder named caughtspam.   I find it
better to save the spam emails, then you can train the bayesian filters
sa-learn --spam --mbox ~/mail/caughtspam

If you are just convinced that you have to delete the messages and you are
not worried about false positive scores from spamassassin then you can
replace 'caughtspam' with '/dev/null/' above.