Error occurred during the filesystem check

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 25 23:56:11 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm at a loss about what to do here.  Somebody zapped/shocked a computer
here when they went to insert their usb key.  The computer instantly rebooted,
and prompted me to do a hardrive check.  After I chose "yes" I quickly got
the message:

Error occurred during the file system check
Dropping you to a shell
<snip>
Give root pasword for maintenance:

I looked around the web and it looked like I had to run /sbin/e2fsck.

So, I entered the root password, and typed 'man e2fsck'.  About 600 warning
messages flew across the screen and then an error message, and then
notification that the man page could not be found.  Unfortunately, I didn't
write down the error or warnings, since I was distracted by the fact that my
keystrokes were no longer appearing on the screen.  The computer was
still reading the keystrokes, since I could run 'ls' and so forth, so I just
bit-the-bullet and typed (at least I'm pretty sure I typed) /sbin/e2fsck -p.
I only specified -p which is supposedly autoclean.  It only ran (if it
actually did run) for a fraction of a second, but here was no output to
the screen.

I then decided to reboot to see if I could get my prompt cursor back.  On
rebooting, I again got a prompt about checking the filesystem because the
shutdown was not clean, and so I chose 'yes'.  This time though the check
went just fine.  And I got the X login prompt,and everything seems normal.

Is there anything I can/should be doing to check thatthe system is ok?
I'm running memtest86 now, and it has allready caught a screenful of
errors with the RAM.

Thanks for any input.