How do I get a /dev/sequencer?

Björn Persson bjorn_persson at sverige.nu
Thu Feb 26 01:20:13 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> You are correct, for the actual ALSA driver the parameter "mpu_port" is
> correct. The IO address you used is unused? The sequencer device exist?

Yes, /dev/sequencer and /dev/sequencer2 exist as device files in /dev,
and now that ALSA is installed an attempt to open /dev/sequencer
triggers an ALSA-related kernel module. The hardware device also exists
and works. (I can play MIDI in that other OS.) But the driver says "no
device found".

IO address - is that the "0x300"? Then need to learn how to find out
which addresses are unused. Are you saying I can pick any unused
address? Isn't there a specific address to address the sound chip?

Björn Persson