hard drive

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Feb 26 02:46:03 UTC 2004

gm wrote:

>Hey guys, I have this hard drive that I got from another system, I was
>wondering if fedora has a tool to check the hard drive for errors, aka scan
>disk, etc. Thanks

How you do it depends on if you need to keep the data.

If you have no use for the data that exists, you can do a format with
destructive badblock testing that will do a write/read test.

If you do not want to wipe the data, then e2fsck (and most of the fsck
flavors) has the -c option to do read-only testing for bad blocks.

Fsck is closest to scandisk.