Two RAID 0 questions

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 03:45:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 18:35, Jeff Vian wrote:
> Statement 2 is not.   With IDE busses, all devices on the bus operate at
> the speed of the slowest device.  Thus if you put an ATA133 drive on a
> bus with an ATA33 cdrom, the entire bus only operates at ATA33.   They
> are improving this, and AFAICT the new SATA controllers do not have this
> limitation.

That is not the case anymore.  The IDE bus will change the speed
depending on what device is currently being accessed.  I have a CD-ROM
and an ATA/100 HDD on the secondary controller and the HDD has no slow
down at all.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA