Dual head setup using ATI Radeon 7000/VE (Dell GX260)

Jean-Rene Cormier jean-rene.cormier at cipanb.ca
Thu Feb 26 13:18:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 17:42, John Rehmert wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been wrestling with trying to get dual head working (spanning or
> individual desktops) on a Dell Optiplex GX260, ATI Radeon 7000/VE vid
> card, a Dell/Sony 1801FP LCD, and a Dell/Sony 1800FP LCD.  I've
> googled the heck out of this one, but none of the 10-15 useful links
> (used many mods to XF86Config) got me rolling.  I thought somebody out
> in Fedora-List Land might have the same setup with dual head working -
> either in spanning or individual desktop mode.

I had one of those cards before, you need to use the drivers from Dell,
those from ATI didn't work for dual head.

Here's what I had in my XF86Config:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon VE"
        Screen  0
EndSection
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard1"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon VE"
        Screen  1
EndSection

You'll need 2 screen sections and 2 monitor sections.

Hope this helps, if not sends relevant parts of your XF86Config and
probably someone will be able to see if something is wrong.

BTW I don't have this card anymore because the dual DVI output stopped
working, I had to connect my monitors with the VGA connectors. If you
have the VGA adapter maybe give it a try.

Now if I could get that GeForceFX to work well in TwinView or
Xinerama...

Jean-Rene Cormier