Blue screen in Fedora

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Thu Feb 26 20:48:07 UTC 2004

Em Qui, 2004-02-26 às 17:29, taehyun nam escreveu:
> Hellow all,
> I have a fedora-version blue screen. Yes, the blue
> screen as of Windows.
> Two days ago, I updated some utilities using Synaptic
> and tries to shut down the computer. However, it did
> not shutdown and got stuck with a blue screen with the
> rolling sand watch that used to give a way to
> text-mode. So, I just push the button to turn it off.

Ok, may I assume you're a newbie in linux?
When something goes wrong with X (simplifying, the linux graphical mode)
try closing X first.

You can
1) restart X: type ctrl-alt-backspace
2) Go to a text-mode window and see if machine is still responding
You can do this by typing CTRL-ALT-FX, where FX is from F1 to F6 in
Fedora.

When you are on one of those windows, log is as root and type:
telinit 3, wait for stuff happen and type enter. This way you have a
linux without X enabled at this time. Is easier see what's wrong.

Once you're in text-mode, just type xinit. It will load X, without
anything else, like gnome. In fact, you'll have mouse and a graphic
terminal.

If you reached this step, type exit and return to text-mode. You will
have some output from X, maybe there's something useful on it.

If it doesn't, type startx - it will load X, but with gnome or kde. If
this is ok, your problem is with something else, a package called GDM.

Then, you will need to repair the gdm package.

> When I turn on the computer the next time, booting
> went well, doing starting utilities and so on until it
> stop right before the log-in screen. And it again was
> the blue screen with the watch where it stoped.

Looks like a gdm error.

> It doesn't boot from CD-ROM; Booting disk didn't help
> either.

Why not? Are your cd and floppy drives damaged? You can always set boot
order in your BIOS setup.

Maybe it's possible to boot from cd and repair some things...
--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group