WLAN EMERGENCY!!!!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 26 20:47:03 UTC 2004

Jim Pelton wrote:
> Ah yes. Rick is right. There are a number of (emulators?) out there
> which let you use win drivers under linux. Linuxant makes one called
> driverloader which I have heard good things about. US 20 bucks! I
> suppose this is the best way to get the new cards to work right now,
> unless you are the master hacker

And have access to the API or specs on the chips.  So far, I haven't
seen too many 802.11g makers release the specs.  Texas Instruments has
said that they _will_not_ release the specs to open source.  That means
that none of the new D-Link 802.11g stuff will be available since they
use the TI chipset.  Broadcom seems more amenable to open source and I
expect their stuff to be released fairly soon.

> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 11:47, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Jim Pelton wrote (reformatted for bottom posting):

>>>Javier,
>>>I have struggled a little with WLAN cards in my Powerbook (yes yes I
>>>know diff, distro, but same idea). I found that many cards have
>>>different chipsets, but are packaged under the same model (but with
>>>different versions). It's important that you get a card with the Orinoco
>>>PrismII chipset, because it's best supported under linux. There are
>>>other drivers, for other chipsets, but it's hard (at least for a newbie
>>>like I!) to compile them properly. So I would continue with the Linksys
>>>v. 3 card. It's the one I use and it's great!
>>>
>>>	Now, check your /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file. it's should read:
>>>PCMCIA=yes
>>>PCIC=yenta_socket
>>>PCIC_OPTS=-f (i think!)
>>>CORE_OPTS=
>>>	When you have changed this file, try restarting pcmcia services with
>>>your card inserted. Now cardmgr should load and you should get two
>>>similar beeps suggesting that cardmgr has recongnized the card as one
>>>which has a driver installed on your system. (I think RH systems have
>>>the orinoco_cs driver (for prismII) installed somewhere as default).
>>>	Now you can run redhat-network-config and add the wireless device as
>>>eth1 or whatever is appropriate.
>>
>>One should also examine the ndiswrapper stuff at
>>http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net.  It allows you to use WXP/2K/2K3
>>drivers (the .inf and .sys files) under a wrapper driver.  I use it
>>for my Broadcom BCM94306 802.11g wireless on my Fujitsu laptop.
>>Works fine.
>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
>>-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -

-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -