WLAN EMERGENCY!!!!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 26 21:56:23 UTC 2004

Alexandre Strube wrote:
> Em Qui, 2004-02-26 às 12:59, Javier Gonzalez escreveu:
>

>>So, I have decided to stop playing around. I don't care how much it'll cost me, I need a wireless adapter that will work.
>>I am open to suggestions.
>

> (If at least I could say this: "Damn! I don't care how much it'll cost!
> Just fix my damn old harley!") Just kidding.
>
> Some years ago I had some samsung cards, which used the prismII chipset.
> I've managed to get them to work in redhat 6.2. In fact, this system is
> still operational, it is a pci board with a pcmcia card attached to it,
> because is a desktop machine. (This machine is on a antenna put in a
> very very high mountain inside a natural park, so there's no one which
> would update the system hehehhe)
>
> Anyway, what I'm saying is that if I could make it work with redhat 6.2,
> you probably will do with Fedora...

As I said in an earlier posting, if you can find WXP/W2K/W2K3 drivers
for the card (the .inf and .sys) files, download, build and install
ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) and use the windows
drivers.  You essentially do:

/etc/modules.conf:
	alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
	post-install wlan0 /usr/local/etc/startwlan

/usr/local/etc/startwlan:
	/usr/local/bin/loadndisdriver (USB-mfgid) (USB-devid) \
	/path/to/.sys/file /path/to/.inf/file
	iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid whatever key s:whatever

You get the idea.  The important thing is to associate the card with
the ndiswrapper driver, load the .inf and .sys files via loadndisdriver
and configure the wireless as you desire using iwconfig or one of the
pcmcia scripts.

As one of my .sig lines states:

	"If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!"
-         The Navy's a bunch of wimps!  MY job's an adventure!       -