DHCP failing in FC1

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Feb 27 13:39:36 UTC 2004

Manuel Carro wrote:

>    Rick,
>

>>>Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and verify that that the ifcfg-DHCP
>>>(VERY bad name...see below) specifies "DEVICE=eth0:3".  If not,
>>>dhcpclient won't work since no DEVICE has been defined.
>>>

>    Thaks for the advices.  Yes, the device is specified as you say.
>

>>>The scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts should be named after
>>>the interface it affects--NOT the protocol used to define its IP
>>>address, e.g. "ifcfg-eth0:3", NOT "ifcfg-DHCP".
>>>

>    I'll try that; if it works I'll stick to it.
>
>    However, while I understand that this setup might be needed
>because the scripts currently require it, I do not see any deep reason
>why it _must_ be so.  If the device is specified inside the file, then
>the file may have any identifier you like.  In fact, I have
>'ifcfg-Home' (a static IP for home) and 'ifcfg-Office' (ditto for the
>workplace), and both work just right by issuing "ifup Office" and
>"ifup Home" (which I usually do from the graphical interface).  And
>this makes sense because it decouples the situation in which I am from
>the connection method I use.  As soon as I get a wireless link at home
>I'd change ifcfg-Home to start up the wireless interface, and
>everything else (e.g., any startup script I may have or my partner's
>routine to read email) should remain the same.  I think that this is
>the right approach.

As I understand it, and from judicious reading of /etc/init.d/network,
the system automatically reads the names of all the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-XXX files to find out which
interfaces are configured and should be started.

I note that Christopher has  posted a comment related to profiles for
use with users and networking, but historically  having one of the files
above for each interface (and properly configured)  will get that
interface configured at boot time.

NOTE: If you use the network configuration tool ( redhat-config-network
( soon to be system-config-network)) it will create the file for you and
save it. Then a boot will automatically start that interface unless you
have it set the activate at boot option to no.  I have not tried the
profiles, but I assume that is where you can override the boot options
and specify which interfaces are activated for each profile.