Grub.conf example for anyone interested in dual or in this case tri boot.

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Fri Feb 27 15:35:07 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>>I feel such an uncommented example file does not help anyone. The one
>>>who understands what he sees could have made his grub configuration
>>>without such an example.
>>>
>>>You are welcome with your help Wade, but please be more verbose and
>>>explain to people what the settings do and what they mean (not for me).
>>
>>I heartily disagree with this.... Actual examples are often the MOST
>>usefull learning tool.  The fact it isn't commented may be slightly
>>lamentable but not really a reason to call Wade on the carpet.
>>
>>What he showed could nearly be cut an pasted for use.  That is a good thing.
>

> Sorry, you couldn't copy&paste - maybe just the fact as he did not
> describe how his harddrive is partitioned and he did not explain to
> users what root (hd1,2) and the others would mean and cause. The example
> is not self-explanatory.
>
> Alexander

Alexander,

This is just my opinion.  This conversation isn't going anywhere.  I
just posted my conf file to the list.  No need for remarks that aren't
going to be very helpful.  The file show's a working example.  Let's let
the users who can't figure it out ask a question about the file when
they decide it is useless or not.  Deciding for them is nothing shy of
holding them back and adding uncertainty to their situation.  Users
mainly ask is it possible.  I have a feeling most people trying to get
dual boot to work on a PC are more than capable of understanding
something as simple as Grub with a nudge in the right direction.  If
they are not, they'll ask.   I wasn't writing a tutorial.  The info file
has enough of that.

info grub

for anyone needing more information.

Wade