microsoft visual source safe

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Feb 27 17:56:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:18:58 -0800 lwj <wayne at zkcelltest.com> wrote:
> This problem exists until at least version 6. At a former company we
> also found out about this problem the hard way. At the time (this was a
> few years ago) Microsoft would not say if/when this problem would be
> addressed.

this would have been in the summer of 2000. i don't recall the version,
but the M$ line was that checking disk space slowed the product
down too much (putting the "safe" part of Visual Source Safe very much
in question.)

i'm still not clear on why VSS was even being used, given that the
embedded OS in the hardware was FreeBSD-derived, the
management app was in Java, and Visual Cafe was the Java IDE
of choice, but then i became an employee of the firm as a side
effect of M&A activity, and the CF was already in progress when
i came on board.

> Fortunately we had backups and only lost 1 day of work.

lucky you. my employer of the time had just fired their outsourced
IT firm and hired a couple of real admins to straighten things out.
they hadn't quite gotten to the VSS server yet...

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net