Much trouble getting dual-boot working

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Fri Feb 27 19:16:22 UTC 2004

> You can keep your paritions as they are, you don't need to change
> them.    If this all goes pear-shaped you can re-install Fedora and
> choose the default options for booting and just stop worrying about it :-)

I did this twice when I first started to try this (reinstalled Fedora
and accepted all default options for booting) and it didn't work -
that's how I got into this trouble in the first place. :-)

I am going to try again: I'm going to use Partition Magic to get rid of
all partitions except the WinXP and Dell Diag ones.  I'm going to remove
all space I made between the DellUtil and WinXP partitions (where I
tried to put /boot) so that it will appear as shipped, except with 60G
unpartitioned space at the end of the drive.  I will then do a fresh
install of Fedora, accepting all defaults, which I believe will want to
install Grub in the MBR.  I suspect this won't work, as it didn't seem
to before, but I will defer to your knowledge and will try it again. :-)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know in 45 minutes or so if it worked.

--

Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst
fran at cis.uab.edu