up2date - why does it take so long???

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Feb 27 21:25:53 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 27.02.2004 schrieb Todd Wolcott um 21:59:
> I am running FC1 on a PIII 733 with 128 MB of ram.
> FC1 runs generally well on my machine, but up2date has
> never worked well.  My connection is on the backbone
> of a major U.S. research university, so speed is not
> an issue.
>
> I just reinstalled FC1 from CD.   Of course, there
> were a ton of updates in the Red Hat Network Alert
> tool.    When I run up2date, it takes forever.  Most
> of the updates are coming at about 10-15k per second.
>

> I know there are other tools out there to run updates,
> like yum, but I want something that is automatic.   I
> am the type of linux user that doesn't want to touch a
> command line.   I am not in the computer field, I just
> have a geek streak in me that is attracted to linux.
>
> 1)  Why is up2date so slow?  Is there something to
> speed it up, like chances where the updates come from?

You are certainly using a mirror server as source, aren't you?

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror/

> 2) What tools out there are there to run automatic
> updates?

service yum start
chkconfig --level 345 yum on

> Thanks,
>
> Todd

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 22:24:07 up 7 days, 23:58, load average: 1.38, 1.15, 1.05
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]