up2date - why does it take so long???

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sat Feb 28 01:04:19 UTC 2004

> .   I am not in the computer field, I just
> have a geek streak in me that is attracted to linux.
>
> 1)  Why is up2date so slow?  Is there something to
> speed it up, like chances where the updates come from?

If you configure up2date or yum to use a mirror site near you (by
default these tools contact Red Hat's over-busy servers) then you may
get faster response.  There are some good how-to posts in the
fedora-list archives that explain this step-by-step.

> 2) What tools out there are there to run automatic
> updates?

You can use redhat-config-services to configure automatic yum.  Run the
command 'redhat-config-services' (no quotes and no options needed) as
root and enable yum in the list of checkboxes for your appropriate
runlevel (usually this is runlevel 5).  This sets up a cron job to run
yum automatically overnight for you.

My guess is that if your machine is not on at update time, then anacron
will catch it up for you when you restart, but I have not tested that.

Erik