bootable iso

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Sat Feb 28 03:01:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 04:16, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 03:37:39AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 00:27, Charles Curley wrote:
>

> > > As far as I know the CD-ROM file system is read only. The work around
> > > is: read the files into a suitable directory ("cp -rp /mnt/winiso/*
> > > /new/directory/somewhere/" [ -rp to copy recursively and preserve
> > > permissions]), edit at will. Then create a new ISO image from the
> > > contents of that directory.
> > >
> > > You may find the following a useful guide if you can read my shell
> > > script hacking: http://www.charlescurley.com/buildiso.html. You will
> > > want to replace the boot disk image with a suitable Mess-DOS boot
> > > image. Once you've done that, xcdroast is your friend.
> > >
> > Ok lets me try this senario,
> > I have a copy of the existing cd. I created an image on the hdd, I
> > mounted the iso to a tmp folder and have extracted all the files to a
> > tmp dir. is there a way to extract the bootable img from the iso and
> > reuse it to recreate the cd with the now updated files in the tmp
> > folder?
>
> That I do not know. There is some information on the ISO 9660 format
> at the mkisofs home page.
>
> Anyone else?
I just had a brainstorm and took a chance, It worked WOW!
Ok! heres how you extract the bootable img file. go back to where you
mounted the iso [in my case in /mnt/tmp/] look for the boot.bin file or
similar it will be a 1.4mb file,
and use it as your floppy emulation in what ever software you use to
make a bootable cd.
I use k3b in gnome and love it to bits. the trick here is to edit your
boot image in the project menu.

Cool,

Thanks for responding.

Maddy