How do I change the configration of sendmail

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Jan 1 05:26:06 UTC 2004

At 16:29 12/31/2003, you wrote:
>Jeff Lasman said:
> > That's not quite true.  It's a config file written in sendmail's own
> > config file language.  Because it's hard for some of us (I've always
> > edited it by hand) most people maintain .mc files and convert.  But you
> > certainly can and many of us do edit sendmail.cf.
>
>If you read the init script for sendmail, you will find your changes made
>directly to the sendmail.cf file can and will be overwritten.  The warning
>"DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!  Only edit the source .mc file." is there for a
>reason.

Yes. It's there for the 99% of users who SHOULD do it that way.

Simply note, that the 1% of sysadmins who are expert enough to modify the
cf file directly will surely be aware of that and take the necessary
measures. Jeff is technically correct in that you _can_ edit the cf file
directly, and I agree with you that most (nearly all) users should not do so.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com