Building lm_sensors-2.8.2 RPM - Help Needed

Robert D. Arendt rda at rincon.com
Thu Jan 1 16:46:24 UTC 2004

Brian Hanks wrote:
> First, I must admit that I am extremely inexperienced when it comes to
> the process of building RPMs.  I consider myself quite adept with RedHat
> administration, so I didn't think it would be that hard to learn how to
> build RPMs.  I was wrong.  If anyone knows of a good place to get solid
> background information that will help with this learning process, please
> let me know.
>
> On to the problem at hand.  I'm trying to build my own RPM of
> lm_sensors-2.8.2 so that I can begin to take advantage of the newly
> included asb100 support for my ASUS boards.  I've tried to use the SPEC
> file that is included with the lm_sensors source.  Despite my attempt to
> modify everything for a current RedHat 9 machine, it did not work.  I
> then tried to start from the SPEC file that was included with
> lm_sensors-2.8.1-1.src.rpm.  This crashes when attempting to apply the
> RedHat patch.  I've tried countless variations and nothing seems to
> work.
>
> I'll gladly forward the spec file to anyone that might desire to review
> it.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Brian
> bhanks at bhanks.com

Brian,
I took a look at it yesterday.  I succeeded in building the RPM
using the Fedora spec file, but it *only* builds the user-side support,
not the kernel modules needed to support your specific chipset.  I didn't
spend the time to try to adapt between the two .spec files (the Fedora and
the one in the lm_sensors-2.82/RPM directory) to try to get the kernel
modules built.

I ended up punting and doing a non-RPM install, described in
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg00022.html

Hopefully the Fedora kernel masters will merge the latest lm_sensors
chipsets and i2c into a kernel update, so this isn't necessary.

Hope this helps,
-Bob Arendt