Show Details on Bootup

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Fri Jan 2 09:11:25 UTC 2004

David L Norris wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 19:45, Rob Park wrote:
>>The kernel's boot procedure needs
>>an option to disable all normal output (ie, only print anything if it's
>>an error, otherwise be quiet -- much like how rhgb shows no details at
>
> Add the kernel option "quiet" to your kernel entries in grub.conf so
> only errors and warnings are displayed.  Seems to me like this should be
> the default (at least on Fedora Core).

Wow, that's awesome! I think with that setting turned on and rhgb in
place, linux actually displays less cryptic bootup messages than the
original Win95 boot sequence with all it's stupid DOS messages before it
loaded.

Now if only those few remaining modules that still print to the screen
could be silenced. Also, we'd have to make grub stop printing it's stuff
to the screen as well. Basically, I'd like to see the boot sequence go
straight from grub's slick "which OS should I boot this time?" menu to
rhgb, without displaying any cryptic text messages in between.

BTW, for anybody that knows -- how hard would it be to modify rhgb to do
the same thing for the shutdown procedure as for booting?