Show Details on Bootup

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Fri Jan 2 19:35:06 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-02 00:48, Rodolfo J. Paiz whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> At 00:09 1/2/2004, you wrote:
>
>> I find this conversation very interesting. I, personally, just
>> changed the runlevel at system start to level 3. And i don't really
>> see how hiding what's REALLY going on is going to help the computer
>> illiterate people more.
>

> Hiding something does not help them in a /practical/ way by doing
> something for them. It helps them in a /psychological/ way by not
> intimidating them and making the operating system look friendlier.
> People feel like the computer is holding their hand more, and that
> makes them feel safer and more at ease.
>
>> I'd say the more a computer does things on it's own and hides what
>> it's doing the more problems you run into. Example: Windows.
>

> Wrong on two counts: having a computer display nothing is in no way a
> cause for greater errors. You assume a cause->effect relationship
> where none exists... even in the case of Windows. And as regards the
> original point, people feel that Windows is easier because all they
> can see is what they can push, poke, or prod and all complexity is
> hidden from them.
>
>> Computer illiterate people who want to use linux should learn how.
>> Computer illiterate people who want to use Windows should also learn
>> how. Just because Windows is "easier" to use doesn't make them less
>> computer illiterate.
>

> But it does keep them using Windows. Bottom line: what you think, and
> what I think, are bloody well irrelevant. It's what the
> computer-illiterate population thinks that matters. And from where I
> sit, it looks like most of them prefer not to see what they don't
> understand... it scares them.
>
>> I don't see too many people saying "I want to use a car, but i don't
>> want to learn how, i just want to get in and I want the car to know
>> where i want to go and how to get me there without me doing anything
>> but sitting and watching all the pretty colors."
>

> Wrong again. Most people (in this case, myself included) flat-out do
> not give a damn how their car works, and they don't want to know.
>
>         1. They know that they push the button on the alarm keyfob and
> the doors unlock, but they don't know how and they don't care.
>
>         2. They know that only their key will activate their door lock
> or ignition and that others won't, but they don't know why and they
> don't care.
>
>         3. They know that turning the key makes the engine start, but
> they don't know how and they don't care.
>
>         4. They know that turning the steering wheel turns the front
> wheels, but they don't know how and they don't care.
>
>         5. They know that moving a lever from P to R or D makes the
> car go forward or backward, but they don't know how and they don't care.
>
> Have I proven my point yet?
>
> And the reason your comparison doesn't work is that Windows does not
> take dictation or know your thoughts either. Just like the car, it
> takes basic user interaction to know what the user wants and it
> [...]
Amen, brother! ;-)  People like me (probably you too) who have to
support computers for wives, siblings, children, friends, homeless
people, etc. know this well.  That's why in an earlier post I suggested
throwing the details out to a place where most people won't see them,
but they would be easily available to us when they call for help....by
just punching <alt><ctl>F5 or something.  Using dmesg is OK, but it
implies that you finished the boot well enough to look at it...

--
Fritz Whittington
Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience. (James Boswell, Life of Samuel Johnson, 1791)