Proper ettiquette for posting messages

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jan 2 20:20:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 02:42:15PM -0500, David Hunt wrote:
> My first attempt at posting messages
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg00008.html) gave
> me what I wanted - a solution. But I do not appear to have the reply part of
> this figured out, as the responses are not placed where I want them to go.
> Is there an ettiquette document?

Actually, there are quite a lot of them, including at least one RFC. I
have my own (http://www.charlescurley.com/netiquette.html), and list
several in the Resources section at the bottom. Try googoling on
"netiquette".

> How should replies be formatted? I have tried clicking on the
> Reply-To link in the email, but it doesn't copy any of the original
> text. Do I have something setup wrong?

A smart-ass reply would be, yes, you are using Outlook. There actually
is some truth to that. Outlook comes configured to not copy the
original email into the reply when you hit the "reply" button. You can
configure it, but (mercifully) I do not recall how. You can try
mucking with the configuration. There are at least two web pages on
how to set up Outlook correctly (or, as correctly as one can :-). I
refer to them in my resources section at the URL above.

> Does my using XP to reply have anything to do with it?

No. As an intermediate solution, try moving to almost any mail reader
other than Outlook. See the last article in my resources for a good
article on why this is a good idea. For a long term solution, of
course, move to Linux.

> Thanks for any help.

Thanks for asking.