CUPS Problem

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jan 2 20:52:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Jaakko Ruutiainen wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 18:06, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > This sounds like an update from RH9, where you were using LPRng.
> > Probably the best thing to do is remove redhat-switch-printers and LPRng
> > RPMs.  You might also want to reinstall the CUPS RPM.  Then reconfigure.
>
> Actually update from RH7.3. Can't find any rpms related to
> redhat-switch-printer nor LPRng. Reinstalling CUPS rpms had no effect.

[mjs at paladin mjs]$ whichcd -v RHL7.3 redhat-switch-printer
Searching in the RHL7.3 database.
Searching for redhat-switch-printer...

CD-3:redhat-switch-printer-0.5.1-2.noarch.rpm
CD-3:redhat-switch-printer-gnome-0.5.1-2.noarch.rpm
SOURCE-CD-2:redhat-switch-printer-0.5.1-2.src.rpm

> So update procedure to FC1 seems to be bit broken in systems using
> LPRng, because it's not doing what redhat-switch-printer does(*), while
> still removing LPRng and leaving CUPS as the only option.

Yes.  I'm not sure what a reasonable thing is to expect from the installer
in a situation like this.  At very least, users could/should be warned in
the release notes that they should redhat-switch-printer before upgrading
if they are using LPRng.

> * I don't know exactly what redhat-switch-printer does, because I can't
> find anything like that from my FC1 or RH7.3 installations. But I think
> it basically just makes that relinking described in my previous post. Am
> I anywhere near the truth?

Exactly right.

--
		Matthew Saltzman