Turning off kazaa (used to be: file sharing for linux)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat Jan 3 01:55:23 UTC 2004

Alex Olivas wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> gm wrote:
>>
>>> Hey
>>> I was wondering if anyone could suggest a file sharing program (aka
>>> kazaa,fast track,etc) for linux? (plz include the link to the site)
>>

>> Do not, under ANY circumstances, install kazaa on ANY system.  It is
>> a massive security hole and guarantees that your system can and
>> will be hacked.  It's not as bad on Linux, but it's still horrible.
>> Firewalling it out can be a nightmare as well.
>>
>> The authors of kazaa should be taken out and beaten senseless.
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -                                                                    -
>> -     "Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?"     -
>

> i was told you can turn off the port that kazaa uses.  i share internet
> access with roommates.  i use linux
> and never bothered with any file sharing.  my other roommates use
> windows and one just introduced
> the other to kazaa.  after a night of sucking all our bandwidth i
> considered trying to turn off kazaa (i'm
> kind of the house sys-admin).  i use my computer for work, so in
> addition to all of the other normal
> reasons, i really don't want my system to get hacked.  so i have two
> questions...
> 1) is my system at risk as well if they use kazaa? and...
> 2) can anyone tell me how to block access to kazaa?

kazaa can use many different ports...that's what's so damned difficult
with it.

Here's some articles about it:

http://www.lowth.com/p2pwall/
http://www.pcquest.com/content/topstories/secure/103111007.asp

Google searches with "kazaa +firewall" will get more data.
-              Careful!  Ugly strikes 9 out of 10 people!            -