sendmail quickstart guide?

Steve Cowles steve at stevecowles.com
Sat Jan 3 06:12:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 22:40, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> You are exactly correct. SMTP AUTH is so that your users can relay mail
> through your server when they are outside the network and not covered by
> the fixed IP addresses you allow to send via /etc/mail/access. Or, in my
> case, I allow _nothing_ via fixed IP address and force everyone to AUTH.

Although the term SMTP AUTH is typically used in the context you have
described above... sendmail can also be configured to authenticate as a
client to another MTA (like your ISP's mail server). This is typically
done by defining a "smarthost" in sendmail.mc and then adding your
authentication tokens (realm, user, pass, auth mechanisms) to either
/etc/mail/access or creating your own /etc/mail/authinfo file along with
adding FEATURE(`authinfo')dnl to sendmail.mc.

Steve Cowles