Problem updating Mozilla with up2date

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Sat Jan 3 15:14:01 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-02 18:40, Michael Schwendt whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:14:09 -0500, John Li wrote:
>

>>Thanks--using the command 'rpm --query --requires galeon' does show that
>>it requires Mozilla 1.2.1 (Epoch 35).  Questions:
>>
>>1)  Isn't that a bizarre requirement, to require usage of one particular
>>epoch?
>>

>No, not at all. If the dependency is versioned, including the Epoch
>makes sense.
>
>The question remains, how you could upgrade Mozilla to 1.4.1 when the
>installed Galeon requires an older version of Mozilla.
>

>>2) It is supspicious that this requirement is there--I just upgraded to
>>Fedora
>>from a fairly recent new install of RH9, and other folks evidently do
>>not
>>have this problem.  How could this have gotten there?  Can other
>>software or malware modify such requirements?  (Additionally, these
>>incompatible versions already exist on the computer!)
>>

>You could upgrade Galeon to 1.3.10, e.g. with the package from
>this fedora.us mirror:
>
>http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.testing/

It might be simpler to rpm -e *both* Mozilla and galeon, then install
Mozilla 1.5 and the galeon that matches it.  That's what I did, and it
works just fine.  I use apt/synaptic, and I *think* that these packages
came from Dag's Place :-)

### Dag Apt Repository for Red Hat Fedora Core 1
rpm http://apt.sw.be/ redhat/fc1/en/i386 dag

--
Fritz Whittington
Man is by nature a political animal. (Aristotle, Politics)