CDrom mount issues

RH rh at instantkarma.cc
Sun Jan 4 05:35:20 UTC 2004

This is a repost of a continuing problem. I am having a intermitent
issue with my cdrom drive. Sometimes it mounts
other times, I get an error that there is no media in the drive.  When
there is.  This is what I see in /var/log/messages;

Dec 10 03:18:59 hectate kernel: hdd: DMA disabled
Dec 10 03:18:59 hectate kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete
Dec 10 03:19:10 hectate kernel: hdd: irq timeout: status=0xc0 { Busy }
Dec 10 03:19:10 hectate kernel: hdd: irq timeout: error=0x00
Dec 10 03:19:10 hectate kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete
Dec 10 03:19:17 hectate kernel: cdrom: open failed.
Dec 10 03:20:06 hectate last message repeated 3 times
Dec 10 03:20:33 hectate last message repeated 3 times

This is the drive I have ;

hdd: CD-956E/AKV, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

>From the posts I got last time I tried editing the /etc/modules.conf
file as such;

satyr at hectate:~$ cat /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 dmfe
alias eth1 dmfe
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
options ide-cd dma=2
satyr at hectate:~$

I tried dma=1 and 0 also and it had no affect either way.  I know the
CDrom works as the machine was installed from it and it is set to boot
off the cdrom first so it checks every boot.  It will also
intermittently mount the cd.  This problem is happening across multiple
CDs pressed and burned.  I have also opened the box and checked all the
cables.  I even replaced the ide cable with a tested one and it failed
to resolve the issue.

Any ideas? or suggestions are most welcome.  Thanks to everyone for your
contributions to Fedora.

Regards,

Michael Bay